Love and life experienced through the Heart Chakra is not just about romance, but transcending Ego limitations and personal mind preoccupations to open up more fully experiencing compassion, love and life. When you live from your heart, your heart energy is opened and balanced, you can feel clearly and experience life not just on a physical level but also emotional and Spiritual. The Heart Chakra is also a center through which we experience the beauty of life. Experiencing the world through a balanced Heart Chakra is being in a state of openness, love, joy and acceptance that brings us in touch with our ourselves first and then our world in profound and fulfilling ways.
The Heart Chakra connects the lower chakras (physical) and upper chakras (spiritual). It acts as a center of integration of physical earthly matters and higher spiritual aspirations. It also acts as a conduit to the energy flow of flow of giving and receiving.
All Levels of any of the Seven Chakras' energy movement (Overactive, Balanced or Blocked) exist simultaneously and in total fullness and completion at all times (Law of Polarity). The more important aspect is where is your awareness of the energy based on real-time (Now Moment) instant feedback.
Heart Chakra Governs
The Heart chakra is associated with the following characteristics:
- Capacity to love
- Integration, bridge between earthly and spiritual aspirations
- Transcending personal identity and limitations of the ego
- Experience of unconditional love and connection with all
- Appreciation of beauty in all things
- Experiencing deep and meaningful relationships
Balancing the Heart Chakra
Here are some fun and simple practices:
- Create amazing Heart Chakra Space℠
- Meditate on you Heart Chakra
- Work with or wear the color Green
- Enjoy breathing Exercises that attune your heart & breath
- Practices saying & feeling Affirmations
- Eat green healthy foods closest to how nature intended
- Crystal Healing & Essential Oil
- Embrace forgiveness
- Express your gratitude
- Practice self-care and love and enjoy your body
- Cultivate self-compassion and acceptance
- Engage in heart heartfelt activities
- Balance the ebb and flow of giving & receiving
- Sound Therapy & listening to heart-centered music
- Reiki Energy Healing
Heart Chakra Focused Yoga Poses:
Cobra (Bhujangasana) — Intended to broaden the chest area through breath, cobra is a great asana for opening the heart chakra. Promotes spinal strength, but also invigorates the circulatory system.
1. Lie face-down with your forehead resting on the floor.
2. Place your hands on either side, at the middle of your ribcage.3. Draw your legs together, pressing the tops of your feet into the floor.
4. Reach back through your toes, lengthening your legs.
5. Press evenly through your hands as you draw your elbows close to your ribcage.
6. Using the strength of your back (not your arms), lift your head and chest, sliding your shoulder blades down your back. Take 5 to 10 long, deep, even breaths here.
7. Then gently release to the floor, turning your head to one side.
Cat (Marjaryasana) - Cow (Bitilasana) — Cat-Cow is a gentle flow between two poses that warms the body and brings flexibility to the spine. It stretches the back torso and neck, and softly stimulates and strengthens the abdominal organs. It also open the chest, encouraging the breath to become slow and deep. The spinal movement of the two poses stimulates the kidneys and adrenal glands. Coordinating this movement with your breathing relieves stress and calms the mind.
1. Start on your hands and knees with your wrists directly under your shoulders, and your knees directly under your hips. Point your fingertips to the top of your mat.
2. Place your shins and knees hip-width apart. Center your head in a neutral position and soften your gaze downward.
3. Begin by moving into Cow Pose: Inhale as you drop your belly towards the mat. Lift your chin and chest, and gaze up toward the ceiling.Broaden across your shoulder blades and draw your shoulders away from your ears. 4. Next, move into Cat Pose: As you exhale, draw your belly to your spine and round your back toward the ceiling. The pose should look like a cat stretching its back.
5. Release the crown of your head toward the floor, but don't force your chin to your chest.
6. Inhale, coming back into Cow Pose, and then exhale as you return to Cat Pose.
Eagle (Garudasana) — The arm and leg positions that makeup eagle pose not only build strength and balance, but also open the Heart Chakra.
- Begin on your hands and knees. Center your breath, and begin to let your thoughts slow down. Turn your awareness inward.
- Spread your knees wide apart while keeping your big toes touching. Rest your buttocks on your heels. Those with very tight hips can keep their knees and thighs together.
- Sit up straight and lengthen your spine up through the crown of your head.
- On an exhalation, bow forward, draping your torso between your thighs. Your heart and chest should rest between or on top of your thighs. Allow your forehead to come to the floor.
- Keep your arms long and extended, palms facing down. Press back slightly with your hands to keep your buttocks in contact with your heels. Lengthen from your hips to your armpits, and then extend even further through your fingertips.
- For deeper relaxation, bring your arms back to rest alongside your thighs with your palms facing up. Completely relax your elbows.
- Let your upper back broaden. Soften and relax your lower back. Allow all tension in your shoulders, arms, and neck to drain away.
- Keep your gaze drawn inward with your eyes closed.
- Hold for up to a minute or longer, breathing softly.
- To release the pose, gently use your hands to walk your torso upright to sit back on your heels.
Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
Stretches the chest, neck and spine. Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression. Stimulates the abdominal organs, lungs and thyroid. Reduces anxiety, fatigue, backache, headache and insomnia. Therapeutic for high blood pressure.
- Lie on your back. Bend your knees with your feet on the floor hip-width apart.
- Bring your feet as close to the sitting bones as possible.
- Inhale; press your feet and arms actively into the floor and lift your hips up.
- Firm, but do not harden the glutes.
- Clasp your hands together, walk the shoulders down, and press into the floor with your feet and arms.
- Open the chest and reach the front of your legs and pelvis toward the sky.
- Hold for five breath cycles, exhale down, and repeat 2 to 3 more times.
- When you take the time to learn your energy, how it moves through your body through your Chakras, you will then learn how the energy starts to bring greater awareness to who you are and the enormity of your Infinite nature. Only then will you begin to hear your personalized Heart Song and it will guide you to harmonious co-creation with others at the same aligned attraction point. Each additional Chakra is the equivalent of adding another instrument to create a beautiful symphony.
Stay tuned as we journey through each Chakra and bring awareness to the balance already within you.
~ Denise B. Povernick