Heart Chakra - Anahata
The Heart Chakra is the 4th Chakra, located at the center of the Seven Chakra System. It is where the physical and spiritual come together. Located at the exact center of the chest, it corresponds not only to the heart but your lungs, thymus gland, and your cardiac plexus.
In Sanskrit, it is referred to as the Anahata which means unhurt, the spiritual place where past experiences and grievances cannot harm us. The Anahata Chakra is associated with the color green, which stands for transformation and love energy.
The Heart Chakra brings awareness to compassion, love, and beauty. Driven by the principles of transformation and integration, the fourth energy center is said to bridge earthly and spiritual aspirations, join the upper3 and lower 3 chakras.
In this article, we will briefly introduce the Heart Chakra and its attributes. Most Chakra articles begin with discussing the Chakras using either the Root Chakra or the Crown Chakra as a starting point. I personally like to start the discussion from the center, or the Heart of the matter because it is the connector of the upper three (Spiritual) Charkas and lower three (Physical) Chakras. The Heart Chakra can allow in more energy than the Root or Crown and can energize the energy the strongest getting this energy to the other Chakras with great speed and efficiency.
In Part 2 of Understanding Your Heart Chakra, you will learn how to open and balance the Heart Chakra so it may be a point of Spiritual, Emotional, Physical equilibrium in your body and life.
Heart Chakra Aspects
Location: In the center of the chest (the energy center is not located where our actual heart organ lies; rather, the heart chakra is in the center of the chest area); it is the 4th chakra counting from the bottom of the spine in the traditional 7 chakra system.
Color: Green (higher energy frequencies can turn to pink)
Symbol: Two intersecting triangles forming a 6-pointed star in a circle with 12 petals
Healing Crystals and Stones: Pink quartz, clear quartz, jade, green calcite
Essential Oils: Rose, geranium, neroli, ylang ylang, jasmine, bergamot
Glands or Body Functions: Thymus gland, responsible for hormone production and important in the regulation of the immune system.
Heart Chakra Balanced Attributes
If your fourth chakra is properly balanced, this is indicated by your personal conduct. Those with an open Heart Chakra are full of love, forgiveness and compassion. If the Heart Chakra is out of overactive or blocked people tend to have personalities that are filled with anger, grief, hatred and jealousy, all being physical manifestations of a fourth chakra that needs to be healed.
- Love for oneself and others
- Deeply connected
- Ability to grieve and reach peace
- Compassionate discernment
- Center of awareness,
- Integration of insights
- Energy exchange flows harmoniously
Heart Chakra: Blocked Emotional
- You are easy to anger or are always angry
- You will probably be very negative in your thinking and may find it very difficult to
- Keep a positive outlook on life.
- You may feel unloved, unworthy and unappreciated
- You love is unrequited.
- You have do not trust others
- Unable to be compassionate
- Lack Empathy
- Too logical
- Erect Emotional Barriers
- Fear of Intimacy
Heart Chakra: Blocked Physical
- Respiratory ailments: lung infection, bronchitis
- Heart Palpitations
- Chest Pain
- Heart Attacks
- Heart Blockages
- Poor Circulation
- High/Low Blood Pressure
Heart Chakra: Overactive
- You will be ruled by your emotions; sadness, anger, grief, despair, greediness and happiness will come over you with no or little control.
- Your love may have conditions, “I will only love you if you are this way
- You are a “people pleaser”, afraid that you will not be liked or accepted by others around you.
- Seek Approval of Others
- Co-dependency: You may find it hard to let go, of any relationship, that no longer serves your Highest Good.
- Overcritical, and judgmental of yourself and others.
- You may be manipulative
- Lack of Boundaries
- All giving - no receiving
Heart Chakra: Air Element
Air element is the element that connects all other elements, even though it is invisible. The element of Air gives us room to breathe, widens our lungs, and with them, opens our Soul to personal freedom. Air cannot be enclosed and it is changeable. Air is the space in which all other elements activate or are contained. The Heart Chakra Energy as an Air Element is associated with the breath and its movement. The Heart like Air is a spaciousness connection with all things.
Heart Chakra: Color Green
Green is the color of nature and health. It represents growth, nature, money, fertility and safety Green is the great balancer of the heart and the emotions, creating equilibrium between the head and the heart. It is also the color of growth, the color of spring, of renewal and rebirth. It renews and restores depleted energy. It is the sanctuary away from the stresses of modern living, restoring us back to a sense of well being.
Green has healing power and is understood to be the most restful and relaxing color for the human eye to view. Green is the color of prosperity and abundance, new growth and rebirth. Green is soothing, relaxing, and youthful. Green also brings with it a sense of hope, health, adventure, as well as self-control, compassion, and harmony.
Heart Chakra: Symbol
The symbol of the Heart Chakra:
- A circle with 12 petals
- A downward-pointing triangle interlaced with an upward-pointing triangle, forming a six-pointed star or hexagram
- The intersecting triangles represent the air element and its all-encompassing quality.
- They also symbolize the union of seemingly opposite principles or types of energies, such as male and female, spirit and matter.
- The star the triangles form evoke the harmonious joining of forces and highlight the function of the heart chakra as a center of integration and connection.
Heart Chakra Location: The Chest
The location of the Heart Chakra is at the center of the chest, between the breasts. It’s slightly to the left of the actual organ of the heart.
As the fourth energy center, it’s important to remember that it is multidimensional and is energetically represented with a front going through the center of the chest, and a back going through the spine between the shoulder blades. The Heart Chakra is associated with the cardiac system and the lungs. These organs are interdependent and rely on air and breathing to function properly. The gland associated with the heart chakra is the thymus, which is in charge of regulating the immune system.
In understanding your Heart Chakra we will continue the introduction by connecting you to the Heart Chakras governance and connections. We will also have a thorough discussion of wonderful techniques to bring your Awareness to a balanced Heart Chakra.
~ Denise Povernick